Thursday April 27, 2017
Eat, drink, learn, walk, dance, laugh, sing and be inspired – it’s all going on at #WEF2017
Today we're pleased to announce over 400 events in 75 venues across the west end, including big names like Chaka Khan and a new free family event on Sunday, 11 June in Kelvingrove Park — the Big Sunday.
Other dates for your diary:
- West End Fiesta’s Kool and the Gang (June 9) Chic featuring Nile Rodgers (June 11)
- The second “Voice @ the Bandstand” will take place on Sat 24 June – this is a celebration of singing with at least 10 choirs and choral groups. And it’s free!
- New for 2017 is a series of free community events supported by the National Lottery “Awards for All”. These will be at the newly created pedestrian zone in Vinicombe Street, outside the Art Galleries and in the Botanic Gardens.
- The ever-popular Open Air Ceilidh will be on June 4, with a repeat on June 10
- Bandstand Cinema Club, 5-8 June
- Great Get Together, culminating in The Big Lunch – 17-18 June
- Vintage bus service – free – 25 June
Liz Scobie, West End Festival chairman said: “We’re thrilled to announce the programme for our 22nd festival, with so many new and exciting events. We can’t ignore the fact the parade won’t be returning this year, but as costs increase year on year, it is just not possible.
“The West End Festival is almost a month-long, jam packed with an eclectic mix of events. It’s about different venues and people from across Glasgow and beyond, coming to the west end to enjoy the very best of talent, unique venues and the fun atmosphere it creates every year.
“There is something for everyone and we look forward to seeing new and return festival go-ers in June.”
Michael Dale, festival director, added: “Kelvingrove Bandstand once again plays a key role in outdoor music events and has a packed programme. Local community gala days are also prominent, from Maryhill to Partick and areas in between.
“The festival spirit is high as we see more creative events being submitted than ever. It’s a real pleasure to work with so many different venues and communities to bring the programme together.”
From tonight all the events will have been added to the website and you can search by venue, date and category of event.
We do hope to see you in June!